I will be keeping all my thoughts and plans together on an online whiteboard. If at anytime you would like to see my progress, click here to view the board.
At every hour I will upload a screenshot of the board which will include my progress since the previous hour, what still needs to be done, and every other tidbit referring to the project.
(it will be easier to read the text if you click on the image to view it full-size)
I’m learning how to use the software IG Maker by creating a practice game, very cool but a lot of work!
changed the tile set, I think I like this look better (:
I’m trying to figure out the whole moving platform thing, I’ve got it working except for the fact that you can’t land on it. I’m not sure what the problem is :c
bad hour. while I was able to create a new level (grand total 6) I now feel completely stuck. I’ve been looking up tutorials and checking out other games but despite knowing what i want to do I have no idea how to do any of it. Not a lot was accomplished, most of this hour and the next were spent looking up stuff but still not figuring things out.
had a lot of trouble with the programming here, but I finally was able to complete the next stage where the two characters move in sync. the level design up there was just for testing, I’ll most likely be changing it to make it more complex.
made all the levels!! and fixed the programming for level nine. I need to fix up the final stage, make some noise (literally) and figure out a main menu?? I’ve tried like three times already it’s a total failure I can’t get it right. I can try and make do without one. also I need to figure out how to present this to the class…. HMMM
fixed last stage and worked on player sprite. I wanted to make the characters more unique and just new color schemes weren’t enough so I changed the hair style for the player. I want to change the clothes too but a dress is the easiest to work with and I do still have other things to do heh
it took a lot of time and effort but I found a super neat program that makes music in the form of building a small town. I was able to create the kind of sound I wanted for the game, now I’ve just gotta import it into the program. Here’s a link if anybody would like to try it out!
at this point I am pretty much done! just gotta play around with things. most of what’s left are stuff that I’m just not sure how to do. I’ve tried posting in forums, looking for tutorials, and have attempted to figure it out for myself but it’s more complex than I thought or I’m just missing something, I don’t know, but there are a few (what I think to be basic) features that I may not be able to incorporate into my game. We’ll see
I’m unable to figure out a main menu. I’ve been doing all I can do to try and find a way but I keep getting stuck and mixed up and I’ve decided to forgo the menu and just have a loopy thingie. here’s the last one!
I had hoped to be able to end this project by posting a link to wherever it was my game was being hosted, however unfortunately that is not the case. though the game is finished and functional, the software is unable to export the file. I am not sure why. I’ve tried everything to figure out the problem but I just can’t. Not even the tech support people that I called could figure it out. I’ll try to explain the problem as best as i can, but basically IG Maker is crashing on itself. It’s an old software and it’s not very popular and the reason I chose it is because it was free and had a simple interface I could understand. Unfortunately, the support community is small and the software is outdated. in order to export the game to flash I had to download a java and adobe program. The program it asked for was version 3 however that no longer exists, version 4 is all that is available. Because of this, it was difficult to create the necessary path in the system’s environmental variable. This was the problem in the error message above. After several attempts and trying out different things, I was eventually able to get the path working. Unfortunately, that isn’t where the problem ended. When exporting, I was basically creating a .swf version of the game. For some reason, IG Maker was unable to create the shockwave version. I don’t know why. I don’t know why it couldn’t create the export folder, I don’t know. Because of this however, I can not export the game. This means that it is only playable on my computer, through the IG Player software that exists to test play games. I am concerned however, because IG Maker does not run on Macs, which is what the projector is hooked up too. I hope to be able to connect my laptop to the projector so the class can see my game on the big screen as opposed to my little one.
As much as I enjoyed making this game, the experience was awful due to IG Maker. I wish I had chosen a different program to work with, however by the time I realized how frustrating IG Maker was, I had already invested a huge chunk of time into the program, and I didn’t feel like I had enough time to recreate the game in a different program which I would then have to figure out how to work.
I apologize that I wasn’t really able to come through with a final product.